Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bonus Entry

  If you got a sense that I did a lot while living in Eugene, you are correct.  Why stop there as I continued that ambition as I began my drive back to Albuquerque exactly two weeks ago on June 1st.
  First stop occurred while I was on I-84 slightly SE of Portland where I checked out the Multnomah Falls which I have seen before but always like going back whenever I am in the area.  The Multnomah Falls is apart of the Columbia that eventually empties out in the Pacific Ocean.
  Despite the fact that it was drizzling out that did not dampen my spirits to check it out as these photos proudly shows:



  That bridge behind me Yes I had followed a path that enabled me to cross that bridge.  While on top of the bridge my glasses fogged up just a tad more as I was closer to the roaring falls.  It was cool!!!
While on my way down I captured this small stream all part of the larger system, the Falls.
Here is my proof that I made a stop and checked out the Multnomah Falls.
  While the next stop did not occur until several hundreds of miles away in Utah I was constantly checking out the topography all around me as I worked my way from state to state.  Often I wished I had a built in camera inside the car so that I could share even more pictures but since I don't you will have to rely on my ability to share what I saw in words.
  Saw a cool dam named the John Day Dam just south of The Dalles (Rufus) in OR regulating the amount of water that was entering different areas of the Columbia River.  Saw huge herds of: sheep, horses, cows even saw a cow on the banks of the river that was drinking pretty cool as I thought was an unusual sight.
  When I had arrived just south of Salt Lake City I pulled over on the side of the road and took these shots:

I did see lots of these huge mechanical windmills in ID but it was unsafe for me to pull over and take a snap shot.  They go way back high in the mountains, pretty cool.
This pictures shows snow on the peaks of the mountains that I was able to take just south of Salt Lake City.
  Made another stop at a Hole in The Rock in SE UT which is pretty eye opening to the beholder.  Many years ago when a set of parents died, the sibling divided up the assets.  One of the siblings wanted this huge rock which he then was able to carve out these impressive rooms which took him roughly 20 years to complete inside the rock.  I will provide this website for your viewing pleasures: http://theholeintherock.com/.  Unfortunately I don't have any photos to share as pictures inside was not permitted but I was able to take this one picture of the miner that was used to illustrate all the long hours of hard work it took to make this place livable.
Hope you can see the fellow plumped over inside the cart obviously tired of the exhausted work that he was involved in.
  Last stop occurred just down the street on the edge of the Canyonlands where I was able to take this picture showing how great the architecture of erosion can be.

2 comments:

  1. Great journal, Peter. Your pictures and narrative inspire me to want to explore the Northwest. Now that we have a bit more time, hopeflly we can take Maxine or Zelda and do some sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I didn't know we had falls like that in the states. I really enjoyed those pictures. You got to see quite a bit on your ride back to ABQ. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete